God planted the seed for the birth of Olivet Lutheran Church in the spring of 1913, as three families gathered together and sought religious training from the Rev. Alvin E. Bell, then pastor of Glenwood Lutheran Church.
On April 26, 1914 Olivet Lutheran Church was organized. The members met at Elden Hall at Whiteford and Alexis roads above a grocery store for two years. There were 24 charter members in the mission congregation. The Rev. Bert Uhl became the pastor in July 1914, serving Augsburg Lutheran Church and Olivet simultaneously. Sunday School attendance was 20 members, and the average weekly offering was 75 cents! Olivet's first building was dedicated in June 1916 at the southwest corner of Whiteford and Alexis Roads. By 1921 Olivet had a full time pastor and a 75 member congregation.
In 1936 Olivet began to offer 2 worship services to meet the need of its expanding congregation. By 1942 there were 463 confirmed members and 230 Sunday School students. In 1950 Olivet moved to its current site on Monroe Street, constructing a Southern Colonial style structure. The education wing was added in 1957.
Olivet assisted two mission churches (Advent and St. Stephen's) in their establishment in the growing community of Sylvania. Under the leadership of Pastor William E. Cox, the pastoral team expanded to include an associate pastor as membership increased.
In 1985 Olivet built again - this time adding a fellowship hall, space for 6 classrooms, office area,lounge and Smiling Facesatrium. In 1989, Olivet celebrated its 75th anniversary, having grown from 24 to 1154 confirmed members and hundreds of child members.
Olivet Lutheran Church, Today
Today our confirmed membership totals 1678, 1048 of those being communing members. Our Educational Ministries attendance averages over 200 persons.
Olivet Lutheran Church is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Northwestern Ohio Synod. We are members of Metro Toledo Churches United and engage in local social ministry through our food pantry, an annual Red Cross Blood drive, the Leisure League's outreach to homebound members and area nursing homes, our partnership with Sylvania Area Family Services, and Communion Liturgies in local assisted living facilities. We also support Lutheran World Hunger ministries and provide generous support for mission congregations in our synod.
Olivet Lutheran Church
At Olivet, our mission is to gather and equip people to serve God by making Christ known.
We are continually growing together and we invite you to join us!